Unfortunately, changes have been slow to come to the veterinary clinic level.
Why does this matter? Unnecessary vaccination increases the risk of adverse vaccine reactions but does not increase immunity to disease.
Important: This website does NOT oppose all vaccination. We do not presume to tell you what decision you should make. We are advocates for informed consent before you make your vaccination decisions. Freedom of choice depends on information.
This website DOES OPPOSE:
- vaccination without prior explanation of risks, benefits, vaccine effectiveness and duration of immunity
- revaccination of animals that already have long or lifetime immunity
- “one size fits all” vaccination protocols
- multiple vaccines given in one visit, especially to cats and small breed dogs
- optional vaccines routinely given to pets not specifically at risk
- optional vaccines offering short immunity, limited effectiveness and high adverse reaction rates
- vaccination of unhealthy animals
- vaccination before or during surgery
- vaccination of animals too young to form immunity
- vaccination with vaccines on the “not recommended” list of the AVMA, AAHA and/or WSAVA
- vaccine labels suggesting revaccination intervals sooner than supported by current research
Search by subject or category or cloud tag (at right)
Read 7 Quick Things Most People Don’t Know About Vaccinating Pets
Read Ask These Questions BEFORE Vaccinating Your Pet
Attention Veterinarians, vet techs, Certified Animal Welfare Administrators and others interested in serious education on titer testing see Dr. Ron Schultz’s Saving Lives with Antibody Titer Tests speaking in a video approved for RACE continuing education credits.
Learn the truth about vaccine reactions. Watch our new video!
News: Listen to Lori Turner talk about the death of her beloved dog after her Bella received multiple vaccines. Dr. Shawn Messonnier, The Natural Vet Tuesday August 7 at 8PM EST, Rebroadcast 11 pm ET & Wednesdays 6 am ET. Sirius XM radio. http://www.siriusxm.com/programschedules Read Bella’s dad’s account of Bella’s ordeal.
Listen to Jan Rasmusen talk about over-vaccination on Martha Steward Radio’s Dr. Shawn Messonnier, The Natural Vet Tuesday September 4 8 pm ET, Rebroadcast 11 pm ET & Wednesdays 6 am ET Sirius XM radio. http://www.siriusxm.com/programschedules
Read What You Don’t Know About the Rabies Vaccine by Jan Rasmusen in the September 2012 issue of in Raw Insticts Magazine.
Jan has long wanted a not-for-profit website where pet lovers and pet professionals could find reliable, evidence-based information on vaccination. This website began as Jan’s brain child but quickly became a collaborative effort. Veterinarians who have long worried about over-vaccination and vaccine-induced disease (VIDs) — friends and new acquaintances alike — have guided her,
educated her and allowed her to publish their articles, studies and videos. Pet lovers with vaccine-damaged dogs or cats have stepped up to spread the word and share their stories.
Jan writes several blogs on holistic health care and consumer advocacy – Truth4Dogs and Blog4Dogs – and a fun, but informative free quarterly e-newsletter.
All proceeds from Jan work support research into the rabies vaccine and other research and educational projects.
- Organized The 2010 Safer Pet Vaccination Benefit Seminar featuring world-renowned experts W. Jean Dodds, DVM and Ron Schultz, PhD
- Raised $50,000 for the Rabies Challenge Fund and produced the Seminar DVD completely benefitting the Fund
- Is the U.S. Correspondent for the Pet Welfare Alliance, a group of concerned veterinarians and experts around the world
- Wrote the vaccination article for the 2011 nonprofit DrShowMore.org calendar and helped edit other articles
- Organized an educational fundraiser for the nonprofit DrDoMore project
- Has been featured on numerous television and radio shows and has had her articles republished in DogsNaturallyMagazine and on websites throughout the world
- Is a writer for Raw Instincts Magazine.
Jean Hofve, DVM and Margo Roman, DVM are special friends of this website and long-time proponents of informed consent and prevention of over-vaccination.
World-renowned vaccine scientist Ronald D. Schultz, Ph.D, vaccination expert W. Jean Dodds, DVM and Rabies Challenge Fund Founder Kris Christine have helped Jan with years of questions answered; they have given Jan permission to post their work and have helped countless professionals and pet lovers around the world. The world owes them more than most of us could imagine.
Thanks to Patricia Monahan Jordan, DVM for tirelessly sharing her knowledge and resources and to a growing list of veterinarians. Thanks also to other experts who have long been vocal opponents of over-vaccination; many of them have allowed publication of their work on this website:
Lisa Pierson, DVM
Donna Kelleher, DVM
Shawn Messionier, DVM
Christina Chambreau, DVM
Author Catherine O’Driscoll, Founder of PetWelfare Alliance and the Canine Health Concern
Raw Instincts Magazine
Celeste Yarnall, Ph.D, author of The Complete Guide to Holistic Cat Care with Jean Hofve, DVM and Natural Dog Care.