Better Homes and Garden Radio


Jean Robb

Volunteer your remarketable gifts and become more marketable!

Volunteer and Market Yourself…Remarkably

“Remarkable Marketable Mehelps you share your remarkable gifts volunteering, making you more marketable along the way.



By Jean Robb

I didn’t have the best childhood. We didn’t have much, so if you needed something you had to find a way to get it. I started working at 11 years old selling candy door to door. I know very scary right, but at 11 years old all I knew was I had to sell a certain amount of candy before I could go home. When I knocked on a door, out came my foot and I didn’t move it until you bought a box of candy. The skills I learned from my difficult childhood, (my lemons) really became a blessing (my lemonade).

I learned at a really young age that persistence will open many doors. As an adult I have walked out on a stage with a tiger after Zig Ziglar and talked to over 2,000 people about overcoming their fears. I know you must be thinking…a tiger? I have volunteered for over 15 years with big cat sanctuaries and have learned you can do something you really love while helping others in remarkable ways. In today’s economy you hear lots of people say they can’t find a job. So what happens?

The longer you’re out of work, you start to lose your contacts. You’re not keeping up with the day-to-day changes in your trade. You’re simply out of the loop. The longer you’re in this position the more the fear sets in. What if I can’t find a job? I have so much to offer, how do I get someone to talk to me? Well as you can see, fear can really take a hold of you, it makes you feel like a deer in the headlights. How do you overcome these things?

First off, STOP listening to the FEAR and STOP making EXCUSES. Look, I’ve made many of the same excuses when I’ve let fear be a part of my life. I now realize that the answer to overcoming the fear is to replace it with remarkable things you can be proud of. Instead of asking why would anyone want to hire me, ask yourself why not me?

After volunteering you could say. Look at the change I’ve made in the lives of others. Look what I’ve learned along the way. Look at the skills I’ve been taught while helping others. Look at the great people I’ve met. They’ve seen first hand the type of passion I put into any job I take on. So how will this work? I have made a commitment to bring you a volunteering opportunity at least once a week. The process of volunteering can be more complicated than people may think.

Email me your news. I have included in each story all the information I received and the direct contacts to make it really easy for you to get your foot in the door.Network, Network, Network” See how you can use that experience to build your resume. Most of all how did you feel about helping others today.

My goal is to get you to share with all of us your experience. Think about how much we can learn from each other. Please email me your pictures and story to remarkablemarketableme@gmail.com so I can post them each day. I will add the trademarks, video and links for you.


Jean Robb is a real estate agent in the Dallas – Fort Worth area who is committed to promoting the importance of volunteering for your community.We have the infrastructure in place with the best real estate team in North Texas, and the process for you and I, together can “give back” to those in need without costing you an extra dime. It’s a win/win for both of us. When you contact me, just mention this page and I'll donate 5% of my commission to any non-profit you want to help!

After reading the above information ask yourself “why would I choose any other realtor”?

Click on the logo located on the sidebar for the story you have an interest in reading.

Each story is interactive. Just scroll over and click on the links in the story to get all the information you'll need for that non profit. Some links will appear as a blank spot in the story. Just scroll over it to activate the link.

Please scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to see how you can follow by email and see the most popular stories.

I make my living as a Realtor. It allows me the opportunity to stay involved with so many charities. If you're in need of a great Realtor please go to http://www.jeanrobb.com

Monday, August 30, 2010

You gave to Katrina, Katrina keeps giving back


 





My name is Lana. Five years ago, I started my college career. Needless to say, I did not think about helping out in the community. After a couple of weeks into school, we were evacuated, because of Hurricane Katrina was coming.  I was from North Mississippi and I did not have a clue about hurricanes.  Some friends and I gathered enough clothes to leave just for one night. We left for that night and returned to our dorm six weeks later. The town where my college was located was destroyed, but not as bad as the coast. When we got back, we started Greek Rush. My sorority helped me get involved. We helped work with people that had lost everything and just help in the community. It was such a blessing to see the thankfulness in people’s eyes. As I went through college, I realized how important it was to help people and how important it was to do just to do simple things. As graduation was getting close and all we could hear about was how horrible the job market was, I was beginning to freak just a little. I needed a job. I knew that a local campaign was coming up in November. This was something that I never thought I would be interested in, but knew it would be great experience. I submitted my resume to them telling them how I would love to volunteer and help anyway needed. I ended up getting a call from the campaign asking if I could come in for an interview. When I got the call, I was thinking an interview was a little much for a volunteer.  I went to the interview the next day and they actually wanted to hire me for a full time position. I was shocked of how wanting to volunteer and help actually got me a job. Sitting in the interview, I was able to relate my previous experience of helping people and interaction with others would help me be the best candidate for the job. I ended up getting the job by putting myself out there.

Here is an update and information on how you can help!


Red Cross Commemorates Five-Year Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina

Thursday, August 26, 2010 — The American Red Cross is marking the five-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina with a dinner honoring first responders, commemorative events in Mississippi and a canvassing event in which volunteers will distribute information and resources to help be better prepared for future disasters.
When hundreds of thousands of people needed help in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and two other major hurricanes that followed in the 2005 hurricane season, many individuals, foundations and corporations stepped forward to help. This incredible generosity - as well as the relief efforts of the Red Cross - is detailed in "Bringing Help, Bringing Hope,"an American Red Cross report covering the response to Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma and the ensuing years of recovery for the survivors.
"Five years ago, the American public responded to Katrina with unprecedented generosity,"said Russ Paulsen, executive director of the Hurricane Recovery Program at the Red Cross. "Looking back, I think they can be proud of what their contributions accomplished."
The American Red Cross will be participating in events across the Gulf Coast over the next several days to commemorate the five-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.
  • The Southeast Louisiana Chapter of the American Red Cross will host a Day of Service Readiness Canvassing Event on Saturday, August 28. American Red Cross and Target volunteers will team up to distribute bags with information and resources on preparedness and recovery to homes in neighborhoods heavily impacted by disasters such as Hurricane Katrina and home fires. A similar Day of Service project will also take place in New York City. 
  • The Southeast Louisiana Chapter later will host "Heroes of the Storm," a fundraising gala on Saturday, August 28, that will honor first responders and pay special tribute to Gen. Russel Honoré, who mobilized the response. American Red Cross CEO Gail McGovern will introduce Honoré and present him with a special gift. Members of the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Army, National Guard, employees at Lockheed Martin, Entergy, local police and fire departments, and Red Cross volunteers from across the region will also be recognized.
  • The South Mississippi Chapter of the American Red Cross participated in the August 21st Tears to Cheers Music Festival. The event, held in Biloxi, kicked off a weeklong series of Phenomenal People Celebration of Healing events in observance of the five-year anniversary. All proceeds collected by the vendors at the week of events will go to support the American Red Cross, Hope CDA and other area nonprofit organizations.
  • The South Mississippi Chapter will be recognized for their achievements on Sunday, August 29, at a reception hosted by Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour in Gulfport. Later that evening, the Governor and First Lady will host the Governor's Cup in Biloxi. The American Red Cross is one of the recipients, along with several other agencies. These awards, one of the highest given by the Governor, are given to honor businesses for their contributions during the past calendar year, raise general awareness about their successful efforts, and showcase their results.
Donors gave the organization a total of $2.2 billion for people affected by the storms, which helped the Red Cross provide:
  • Shelter for survivors across 31 states and the District of Columbia
  • Hot meals and snacks
  • Financial assistance for 1.4 million families to purchase groceries, clothing, diapers and other basic needs; and money for people to return home, make home repairs and get back to work
  • Physical and mental health services to help them cope with stress and ease the trauma
  • Tools to help survivors chart a path to recovery
  • Disaster preparedness training so people know the steps to take to protect themselves and their families
"The hurricanes of 2005 tested us all,"said Paulsen. "Although we're on better footing than we were five years ago, every individual and community has to be on board in order for our country to be more disaster-ready. There is much more that we as a nation can do. Everyone—government, businesses, non-profits and the faith community—needs to work together to have better prepared communities."
The report, "Bringing Help, Bringing Hope: The American Red Cross Response to Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma,"is available at http://www.redcross.org/Katrina5Year.

You can help people affected by disasters like floods, fires, tornadoes and hurricanes, as well as countless crises at home and around the world, by making a donation to support American Red Cross Disaster Relief. Your gift enables the Red Cross to prepare for and provide shelter, food, emotional support and other assistance in response to disasters. Visit www.redcross.org or call 1-800-RED-CROSS. Contributions may also be sent to your local American Red Cross chapter or to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, DC 20013.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies nearly half of the nation's blood; teaches lifesaving skills; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a charitable organization — not a government agency — and depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit www.redcross.org or join our blog at http://blog.redcross.org.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the great story Lana.
    I'm sure there are many college students that feel overwhelmed by today's unemployment rate. I hope you inspire them to step out in faith and help other. Your story is a great example of helping others and yourself at the same time.
    Thanks again for sharing with all of us.

    ReplyDelete