Better Homes and Garden Radio


Jean Robb

Volunteer your remarketable gifts and become more marketable!

Volunteer and Market Yourself…Remarkably

“Remarkable Marketable Mehelps you share your remarkable gifts volunteering, making you more marketable along the way.



By Jean Robb

I didn’t have the best childhood. We didn’t have much, so if you needed something you had to find a way to get it. I started working at 11 years old selling candy door to door. I know very scary right, but at 11 years old all I knew was I had to sell a certain amount of candy before I could go home. When I knocked on a door, out came my foot and I didn’t move it until you bought a box of candy. The skills I learned from my difficult childhood, (my lemons) really became a blessing (my lemonade).

I learned at a really young age that persistence will open many doors. As an adult I have walked out on a stage with a tiger after Zig Ziglar and talked to over 2,000 people about overcoming their fears. I know you must be thinking…a tiger? I have volunteered for over 15 years with big cat sanctuaries and have learned you can do something you really love while helping others in remarkable ways. In today’s economy you hear lots of people say they can’t find a job. So what happens?

The longer you’re out of work, you start to lose your contacts. You’re not keeping up with the day-to-day changes in your trade. You’re simply out of the loop. The longer you’re in this position the more the fear sets in. What if I can’t find a job? I have so much to offer, how do I get someone to talk to me? Well as you can see, fear can really take a hold of you, it makes you feel like a deer in the headlights. How do you overcome these things?

First off, STOP listening to the FEAR and STOP making EXCUSES. Look, I’ve made many of the same excuses when I’ve let fear be a part of my life. I now realize that the answer to overcoming the fear is to replace it with remarkable things you can be proud of. Instead of asking why would anyone want to hire me, ask yourself why not me?

After volunteering you could say. Look at the change I’ve made in the lives of others. Look what I’ve learned along the way. Look at the skills I’ve been taught while helping others. Look at the great people I’ve met. They’ve seen first hand the type of passion I put into any job I take on. So how will this work? I have made a commitment to bring you a volunteering opportunity at least once a week. The process of volunteering can be more complicated than people may think.

Email me your news. I have included in each story all the information I received and the direct contacts to make it really easy for you to get your foot in the door.Network, Network, Network” See how you can use that experience to build your resume. Most of all how did you feel about helping others today.

My goal is to get you to share with all of us your experience. Think about how much we can learn from each other. Please email me your pictures and story to remarkablemarketableme@gmail.com so I can post them each day. I will add the trademarks, video and links for you.


Jean Robb is a real estate agent in the Dallas – Fort Worth area who is committed to promoting the importance of volunteering for your community.We have the infrastructure in place with the best real estate team in North Texas, and the process for you and I, together can “give back” to those in need without costing you an extra dime. It’s a win/win for both of us. When you contact me, just mention this page and I'll donate 5% of my commission to any non-profit you want to help!

After reading the above information ask yourself “why would I choose any other realtor”?

Click on the logo located on the sidebar for the story you have an interest in reading.

Each story is interactive. Just scroll over and click on the links in the story to get all the information you'll need for that non profit. Some links will appear as a blank spot in the story. Just scroll over it to activate the link.

Please scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to see how you can follow by email and see the most popular stories.

I make my living as a Realtor. It allows me the opportunity to stay involved with so many charities. If you're in need of a great Realtor please go to http://www.jeanrobb.com

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Parkland Hospital making a difference and building my experience along the way.





















My name is Shelly.
I am currently a nursing student and I have found volunteering to have a meaningful, positive impact on my community. It has also helped me gain knowledge clinically which will further enhance my nursing career. I have volunteered at Parkland Hospital in Dallas since October 2009. I have been able to see first hand what nurses in critical situations do. It has helped me make many great contacts and also will enhance my resume when I graduate school and become an RN. I feel that anyone who wants to help their community and expand their knowledge in their chosen field will benefit from volunteering. Please see below the information about Parkland Hospital and how you can get involved and volunteer.

Shelly




Parkland nurses among the 'Great 100'
DALLAS-Two distinguished Parkland Health & Hospital System nurses are among this year's "Great 100 Nurses."

Selected from a field of 500 nominees, Carol Pearson and Nanci Nagel bring a wealth of experience to nursing through their work in Parkland's Oncology Clinic and Burn Intensive Care Unit, respectively. Awarded by Dallas-Fort Worth Nurse Executives and the Texas Nurses Association, the honor is based on the nominees' scientific knowledge and clinical commitment to the profession.

"We know the courage and compassion of Parkland's nurses makes a difference in the community, but its wonderful when others recognize their expertise as well," said Miriam Sibley, senior vice president and chief nursing officer at Parkland. "I'm proud that out of so many nurses in the metroplex, ours continue to be among the Great 100."

Pearson has been a nurse for 36 years and calls it the best decision she ever made. As unit manager of the Oncology Clinic, she is responsible for the planning and coordination of patient services to ensure high quality patient care.

As a nurse in the burn unit, Nagel cares for critically injured burn patients. She is also a member of a medical flight team for initial resuscitation and management during traumas in North Texas. Nagel serves as Planning and Operations Officer in the 214th Medical Response Unit/Texas State Guard for which she maintains a training program for health care in disaster settings. She recently returned from Haiti where she provided medical help after the devastating earthquake.

Both nurses will be recognized along with the other recipients at an awards ceremony at 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 14 at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center, 2301 Flora St., Dallas. All proceeds from the event will provide funds for scholarships given to area nursing students.
###
For Further Information Contact:
Charise Thomason
214.590.8054
charise.thomason@parknet.pmh.org



Parkland is the place where you can make a difference!
Volunteer & Guest Services Department Overview
The Volunteer & Guest Services Department provides volunteers throughout various areas of Parkland Hospital and Community Oriented Primary Care (COPC) clinics. Also, great numbers of community volunteers, both locally and internationally, donate food, clothing and thousands of greatly needed handmade items to Parkland’s needy patients.
How do I become a volunteer?
Prospective volunteers attend a monthly group orientation where they receive training and complete an application. At that time, the names
and fax numbers of a medical and business-type reference will be requested. Later, a personal interview will be scheduled; a criminal background check will be processed; and the prospective volunteer will make an appointment with Occupational Health Services to have all
immunizations checked. All volunteers will receive department-specific training in the area in which they choose to volunteer. Some areas also
require CPR certification. Upon completion of these requisite items, you will be ready to take your place on the hospital volunteer team.
For more information, call 214.590.8827.
Where can I volunteer?
Pastoral Care (Chaplains)
Community Clinics (COPC)
Reach Out & Read Program
Emergency Services
Gift Shop
Intensive Care Units
Newborn Nursery
Neonatal ICU Nursery
Physical and Occupational Therapy
Pharmacy
Day Surgery
Regional Burn Unit
Geriatrics
Victim Intervention Program (VIP)
Outpatient Medicine Specialty Clinics
Women & Infant Services (WISH)
Labor & Delivery
In-Patient Units
Summer Program
Summer Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age. Students high school age and younger may volunteer weekdays, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. only. College-age and older may volunteer 24 hours a day seven days a week, depending on their placement. To participate in the summer program, call 214.590.8827. You may only sign up on April 1.
Junior League of Dallas
Parkland and the Junior League of Dallas have partnered for over 65 years to provide excellent volunteer service to Parkland's patients and the Dallas community. Junior League Volunteers are the backbone of Parkland's volunteer force, especially in the areas of Emergency Services and Nurseries.
Handwork
Many volunteers assist the patients by volunteering outside the hospital setting. These volunteers donate their time by making greatly needed handmade items for the patients. Handmade knitted slippers, pressure pillows, quilts, lap robes, infant layette items, stuffed animals, activity or coloring books, dolls, etc. are always needed.
Animal Assisted Therapy
Meet Ace, Parkland's newest animal therapy dog. The three-year-old Teacup Poodle weighs just 3 pounds. But he has a much bigger impact on Parkland patients than his tiny size would indicate.


Ace began "treating" patients last year. He brings some much needed cheer to patients who are ill, also helping to distract from pain, stress and fear. In addition, petting and brushing helps as a form of physical therapy for some patients as well.


Ace had excellent teachers. He came with his "mom" Susie Moore and Zip, Parkland's beloved and long-time animal therapy dog who sadly passed away earlier this year. Susie Moore first came to Parkland in March 2000, as part of the Parkland/SPCA of Texas Animal Assisted Therapy Program.
For more information on how you can volunteer go to: http://www.parklandhospital.com/patients_visitors/volunteer.html

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your story Shelly.
    I hope you find yourself at Parkland after you are finished with school. I think you will fit in great at Parkland Hospital and caring nurse staff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story Shelly. I hope you end up at Parkland Hospital. I know that is where you want to be a nurse. The ER will love having you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly...I'm so proud to call you my friend. You have accomplished so much in the short time I have known you. This is just another example of how wonderful and a giving person you arel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story, way to inspire people.

    ReplyDelete