Better Homes and Garden Radio


Jean Robb

Volunteer your remarketable gifts and become more marketable!

Volunteer and Market Yourself…Remarkably

“Remarkable Marketable Mehelps you share your remarkable gifts volunteering, making you more marketable along the way.



By Jean Robb

I didn’t have the best childhood. We didn’t have much, so if you needed something you had to find a way to get it. I started working at 11 years old selling candy door to door. I know very scary right, but at 11 years old all I knew was I had to sell a certain amount of candy before I could go home. When I knocked on a door, out came my foot and I didn’t move it until you bought a box of candy. The skills I learned from my difficult childhood, (my lemons) really became a blessing (my lemonade).

I learned at a really young age that persistence will open many doors. As an adult I have walked out on a stage with a tiger after Zig Ziglar and talked to over 2,000 people about overcoming their fears. I know you must be thinking…a tiger? I have volunteered for over 15 years with big cat sanctuaries and have learned you can do something you really love while helping others in remarkable ways. In today’s economy you hear lots of people say they can’t find a job. So what happens?

The longer you’re out of work, you start to lose your contacts. You’re not keeping up with the day-to-day changes in your trade. You’re simply out of the loop. The longer you’re in this position the more the fear sets in. What if I can’t find a job? I have so much to offer, how do I get someone to talk to me? Well as you can see, fear can really take a hold of you, it makes you feel like a deer in the headlights. How do you overcome these things?

First off, STOP listening to the FEAR and STOP making EXCUSES. Look, I’ve made many of the same excuses when I’ve let fear be a part of my life. I now realize that the answer to overcoming the fear is to replace it with remarkable things you can be proud of. Instead of asking why would anyone want to hire me, ask yourself why not me?

After volunteering you could say. Look at the change I’ve made in the lives of others. Look what I’ve learned along the way. Look at the skills I’ve been taught while helping others. Look at the great people I’ve met. They’ve seen first hand the type of passion I put into any job I take on. So how will this work? I have made a commitment to bring you a volunteering opportunity at least once a week. The process of volunteering can be more complicated than people may think.

Email me your news. I have included in each story all the information I received and the direct contacts to make it really easy for you to get your foot in the door.Network, Network, Network” See how you can use that experience to build your resume. Most of all how did you feel about helping others today.

My goal is to get you to share with all of us your experience. Think about how much we can learn from each other. Please email me your pictures and story to remarkablemarketableme@gmail.com so I can post them each day. I will add the trademarks, video and links for you.


Jean Robb is a real estate agent in the Dallas – Fort Worth area who is committed to promoting the importance of volunteering for your community.We have the infrastructure in place with the best real estate team in North Texas, and the process for you and I, together can “give back” to those in need without costing you an extra dime. It’s a win/win for both of us. When you contact me, just mention this page and I'll donate 5% of my commission to any non-profit you want to help!

After reading the above information ask yourself “why would I choose any other realtor”?

Click on the logo located on the sidebar for the story you have an interest in reading.

Each story is interactive. Just scroll over and click on the links in the story to get all the information you'll need for that non profit. Some links will appear as a blank spot in the story. Just scroll over it to activate the link.

Please scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to see how you can follow by email and see the most popular stories.

I make my living as a Realtor. It allows me the opportunity to stay involved with so many charities. If you're in need of a great Realtor please go to http://www.jeanrobb.com

Friday, April 1, 2011

A life lesson from a volunteer firefighter ~ Supporting America's Heroes- How to Select a Police, Firefighters or Veterans Charity

       







Hi Jean Robb here, 
I was really moved by the firefighter in the video above. It made me think about the times I received a phone call or received something in the mail asking me to help the Firefighters, Police, and Military relief funds. 
I always think to myself " How do you know that the money really will help them" . It's hard to know what charity really will help the cause and what charity will just pay for fundraising with little going to the cause. 
I believe in what this firefighter says in the video. 
Don't wait!  If you can help now do something to help! 
Here is some good information, that can help you make a good choice, when helping.

Supporting America's Heroes- How to Select a Police, Firefighters or Veterans Charity

by Andrew Heck, Charity Navigator
November 10, 2005
FlagThe brave response by police and firefighters to the tragic terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 reminded Americans of the invaluable service these courageous men and women provide to our communities. Similarly, the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq have brought renewed attention to the heroic sacrifices made by the men and women serving in the armed forces and by the families who support them. Americans have many different ways of expressing their gratitude for the service provided by police, firefighters, and men and women in the military. This gratitude is evident in the multitude of American flags, yellow ribbons, and shield decals you see everyday on cars, trees, and front doors.
Many Americans wish to show their support for those risking their lives to keep us safe by donating to charities that promise to provide assistance to police, firefighters, military veterans, and their families. Unfortunately, not all of these charities are spending your money well. In fact, many of the veterans, police, and firefighters charities evaluated by Charity Navigator rank among the least efficient charities that we rate. A recent investigation conducted by Matthew Kauffman of the Hartford Courant found that "veterans' groups are more than twice as likely as other charities to use professional solicitors, which typically keep 70 to 90 cents of every dollar they raise. As a result, veterans' charities overall spend a vastly greater percentage of their budgets on fundraising, leaving less money available to help ex-GIs struggling with health care, housing or financial problems."

Of the 22 veterans charities evaluated by Charity Navigator more than 1/3 have fundraising expenses over 20%, with 3 charities spending more than 50% on fundraising and 2 charities spending more than 95% of your donations on fundraising!
Of the 18 police and firefighter charities evaluated by Charity Navigator 12 attribute more than 20% of their expenses to fundraising costs. Of these, 7 are spending more than 75% on fundraising, with one police charity spending more than 90% on fundraising!
Any charity that spends money inefficiently is doing a disservice to both its donors and its intended beneficiaries, but the fact that these charities are using the good name of America 's heroes to raise donations and then end up spending most of these donations on fundraising or administration is especially sad. Donors become victims when their donations are not used to benefit their local police, firefighters or service men and women as they had thought. Police, firefighters, and veterans are doubly hurt both because they don't receive the assistance they need, and because people who give to a poorly-run, inefficient charity once, may be hesitant to donate to a well-run police, firefighters, or veterans charity in the future.
In order to stop the inefficient, poorly-run police, firefighters, and veterans charities from absorbing donations that would otherwise go to more efficient charities donors need to make sure they know how a charity spends its money before they donate. More importantly, police, firefighters, and veterans must speak out against those raising funds in their name and then spending these funds inefficiently. The good guys need speak up and let donors know that these groups do not represent them.
If donors and well-run charities unite, hopefully someday there will be no donations left for unscrupulous, poorly-run, inefficient charities using the good name of America's finest and bravest. Until then, donors can use some of the tips below to help them find a police, firefighters, or veterans charity that will make sure that their donation reaches these brave men and women.
 
http://www.nmcrs.org/
 Click on the link above to visit the Navy-Marine Corps main page!

http://www.lapolicefoundation.org/
Click on the link above to see the Los Angeles Police Foundation main page!

http://cst.dav.org/
Click on the link above to see  
DAV Charitable Service Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment