You've probably heard of the Six Degrees concept. Any one person (including me, Kevin Bacon) is connected to any other person through six or fewer relationships, because it's a small world. SixDegrees.org is about using this idea to accomplish something good. It's social networking with a social conscience. Through this web site, you can support your favorite charities by donating or creating a social fundraiser — as well as check out the favorite causes of other people, including celebrities. You can also pay it forward with Good Cards® - gift cards for charity that can be redeemed as a donation to more than 1 million charities www.SixDegrees.org was started with the nonprofit Network for Good in January 2007, more than 10 years after the game, "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" made the rounds of college campuses and lived on to be a shorthand term for the small world phenomenon
For almost two decades, film buffs have been playing 'Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon'.
Similar to the idea that we can form a chain to anyone else on the planet through seven degrees of seperation, the game starts with someone naming an actor, and challenging their friends to find a connection to Kevin Bacon in as few links as possible. Now Google - well known for sneaking 'Easter eggs' into its search engine - has, at long last, brought the 'Bacon number' directly into its results pages, making the game a lot more visible - but perhaps upsetting film fans who prefer a challenge over instant gratification. But kudos to any fan who can get to from Corrie's Ken to Kevin Bacon in just four moves.
Kevin Bacon is perhaps best known for his roles in A Few Good Men, Tremors, Mystic River, Wild Things, and is one of Hollywood's most prolific actors.
With over 50 Hollywood films under his belt, you can quickly get to any notable actor, director or crewmen by filling in the blanks - and then the fun is in getting to his name in as few as links as possible.
For example: Simon Pegg, famed for Spaced and Shaun of the Dead, was in Mission Impossible III with Tom Cruise, who was in A Few Good Men with Kevin Bacon.
Try it here now!
Six Degrees Partners:
- Network for Good, the nonprofit organization that hosts this web site and helps people support all of their favorite charities online.
- Pepsi Refresh Project generously awarded Six Degrees a grant to pay it forward with Good Cards® - gift cards for charity.
- StayClassy powers the cool social fundraising campaign tool on the site.
- USA WEEKEND partners with us to allow people to make donations to their favorite charities in support of Make A Difference Day
- 6 Days of Good Challenge partners are listed at www.sixdegrees.org/celebrityambassadors
All the best,
Fundraise for Your Favorite Cause!
Online Fundraising & Engagement
Donate Now to Your Favorite Charities →
- Choose from over 1.2 million US-based charities*
- Donate to multiple charities in one, simple transaction
- Access donation records for tax time in your profile (log in now)
- Set up automated monthly giving (learn more)
- Dedicate donations in honor of loved ones
- Share your favorite charities with others (learn more)
Network for Good