Better Homes and Garden Radio


Jean Robb

Volunteer your remarketable gifts and become more marketable!

Volunteer and Market Yourself…Remarkably

“Remarkable Marketable Mehelps you share your remarkable gifts volunteering, making you more marketable along the way.



By Jean Robb

I didn’t have the best childhood. We didn’t have much, so if you needed something you had to find a way to get it. I started working at 11 years old selling candy door to door. I know very scary right, but at 11 years old all I knew was I had to sell a certain amount of candy before I could go home. When I knocked on a door, out came my foot and I didn’t move it until you bought a box of candy. The skills I learned from my difficult childhood, (my lemons) really became a blessing (my lemonade).

I learned at a really young age that persistence will open many doors. As an adult I have walked out on a stage with a tiger after Zig Ziglar and talked to over 2,000 people about overcoming their fears. I know you must be thinking…a tiger? I have volunteered for over 15 years with big cat sanctuaries and have learned you can do something you really love while helping others in remarkable ways. In today’s economy you hear lots of people say they can’t find a job. So what happens?

The longer you’re out of work, you start to lose your contacts. You’re not keeping up with the day-to-day changes in your trade. You’re simply out of the loop. The longer you’re in this position the more the fear sets in. What if I can’t find a job? I have so much to offer, how do I get someone to talk to me? Well as you can see, fear can really take a hold of you, it makes you feel like a deer in the headlights. How do you overcome these things?

First off, STOP listening to the FEAR and STOP making EXCUSES. Look, I’ve made many of the same excuses when I’ve let fear be a part of my life. I now realize that the answer to overcoming the fear is to replace it with remarkable things you can be proud of. Instead of asking why would anyone want to hire me, ask yourself why not me?

After volunteering you could say. Look at the change I’ve made in the lives of others. Look what I’ve learned along the way. Look at the skills I’ve been taught while helping others. Look at the great people I’ve met. They’ve seen first hand the type of passion I put into any job I take on. So how will this work? I have made a commitment to bring you a volunteering opportunity at least once a week. The process of volunteering can be more complicated than people may think.

Email me your news. I have included in each story all the information I received and the direct contacts to make it really easy for you to get your foot in the door.Network, Network, Network” See how you can use that experience to build your resume. Most of all how did you feel about helping others today.

My goal is to get you to share with all of us your experience. Think about how much we can learn from each other. Please email me your pictures and story to remarkablemarketableme@gmail.com so I can post them each day. I will add the trademarks, video and links for you.


Jean Robb is a real estate agent in the Dallas – Fort Worth area who is committed to promoting the importance of volunteering for your community.We have the infrastructure in place with the best real estate team in North Texas, and the process for you and I, together can “give back” to those in need without costing you an extra dime. It’s a win/win for both of us. When you contact me, just mention this page and I'll donate 5% of my commission to any non-profit you want to help!

After reading the above information ask yourself “why would I choose any other realtor”?

Click on the logo located on the sidebar for the story you have an interest in reading.

Each story is interactive. Just scroll over and click on the links in the story to get all the information you'll need for that non profit. Some links will appear as a blank spot in the story. Just scroll over it to activate the link.

Please scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to see how you can follow by email and see the most popular stories.

I make my living as a Realtor. It allows me the opportunity to stay involved with so many charities. If you're in need of a great Realtor please go to http://www.jeanrobb.com

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Don't Flush Tiger Forests ~ How the toilet paper you buy could contribute to rain forest destruction

   


Don’t Flush Tiger Forests

How the toilet paper you buy could contribute 

to rain forest destruction

 Tiger Habitat Urgently Threatened

Sumatra's rain forests--and the tigers that live in them--are in danger. One threat? Toilet paper bound for U.S. stores.

Asia Pulp & Paper (APP) is pulping rain forests and replacing them with pulp plantations to provide paper fiber for products like the fastest-growing brand of toilet paper in the United States today, Paseo. Since 1984, APP's forestry practices have cleared 5 million acres of Sumatra's forests--an area the size of Massachusetts. With only about 400 Sumatran tigers and fewer than 2,800 Sumatran elephants left in the wild, the remaining habitat is critical to these species' survival.

Learn what you can do to help ensure a future for Sumatra's forests, and the tigers, elephants and local communities they support.

How your choice of paper can help tigers

Not all tissue and paper towels are made from responsible sources. The toilet paper on your grocery store shelves may have a direct impact on the 400 Sumatran tigers left in the wild. Paseo is the fastest-growing brand of toilet paper in the United States today. Livi, another brand, is used by hotels, restaurants and schools. Both are made from fiber supplied by Asia Pulp & Paper (APP), a company causing rain forest destruction in Sumatra. Since 1985, more than half of Sumatra’s natural forests—an area greater in size than the state of Virginia—have been lost as forests are converted to pulp plantations for tissue and paper. Of this, APP and its affiliates have pulped more than 5 million acres of natural forests in Sumatra, land that is essential to the survival of tigers and other species. A new report by WWF identifies the 20 biggest U.S. grocery chains that were believed to be the top 20 buyers that carried Paseo products in 2011. Learn more about which companies took action and committed to stop sourcing Paseo, and which companies did not respond or continue to source Paseo.


 Protecting the tigers’ forest 
Sumatra is one of 20 places in the world that scientists say are critical to the long-term survival of tigers. Bukit Tigapuluh is home to 30 of the world’s 300 Sumatran tigers, as well as 150 elephants and 130 critically endangered Sumatran orangutans.
Sumatra is also home to two indigenous tribes – the Orang Rimba and Talang Mamak – who are being driven off their ancestral land by APP/SMG and other companies, as noted in the new report. Many people are reduced to begging for rice handouts to survive.

WWF is committed to working with the Indonesian government to find ways to protect the forest and Sumatra’s natural heritage.
  • At the recent International Tiger Forum in Russia, Indonesia committed to making the area a priority for tiger conservation. WWF was well-represented at the Summit, with speeches by WWF-International Director General Jim Leape and WWF-US Chief Scientist Eric Dinerstein, among others.
  • After a $1 billion pledge from Norway, the Indonesian government promised to stop granting licenses for clearing tropical and peat forests in Sumatra and elsewhere, starting in 2011. WWF Indonesia provides on-the-ground expertise to help the government achieve protect the forests and achieve emission reductions.
Everyone can play their part by not supporting the trade in forest-damaging timber or paper products. So, whenever you're buying any paper, for the bathroom or to write a letter, look for the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) logo.

You can...
Make sure you choose forest-friendly wood and paper products.



http://www.worldwildlifefund.org/sites/tigers/toiletpaper.html?btn&utm_source=wildwire&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2012feb&utm_campaign=wildwire

How You Can Help

Sign the Pledge
Don’t buy Paseo or Livi products and ask your supermarkets not to carry them.



Go Paperless
Become a paperless member and you'll receive more benefits online and less clutter offline.


Spread the Word

 

 

 

Dear Jean,

Thank you for pledging not to buy toilet paper made from tiger habitat.

Here are some ways you can do more:

What should I do if I see Paseo or Livi at my supermarket, school, hotel, or elsewhere, or if I don’t see any recycled or FSC-certified toilet paper?

Speak to your store manager or the person in charge of buying and ask them to stop selling or using Paseo and Livi brands until APP changes its practices. Not sure what to say or just want to leave a comment? Here are some ideas to get you started:

  • Paseo: As a loyal customer, I request that this store stop selling Paseo brand tissue products. I am concerned about the deforestation caused by Paseo’s paper supplier, because it is pushing Sumatran tigers and elephants to local extinction. I also ask this store to implement a buying policy to ensure that unsustainable products do not reach your shelves again.
  • Livi: I noticed that you currently are using Livi tissue products in your bathrooms. I request that this school/hotel/restaurant switch to another brand. I am concerned about the deforestation caused by Livi’s paper supplier, because it is pushing Sumatran tigers and elephants to local extinction.
  • No FSC or recycled toilet paper: As a loyal customer, I request that this store start selling toilet paper brands that are either 100 percent recycled or Forest Stewardship Council-certified. I am concerned about the deforestation caused by some paper suppliers, because it is pushing endangered species into local extinction. I also ask that this store implement a responsible paper sourcing policy to ensure that only products from responsibly managed forests and recycled sources reach your shelves.
We greatly appreciate your commitment to conservation.

Sincerely,
World Wildlife Fund

 

No comments:

Post a Comment